Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Mole Pork Enchiladas

This has to be my fastest kitchen-to-blog post ever, in fact, I'm still eating as I type. Though, it might be one of my longest procrastinated recipes. I'm pretty sure I bought my primary ingredient about a year ago. Enter: Mexican Spicy Dark Chocolate. It's the perfect base for this savory sauce that has a little bit of sweetness and kick. 

Mole sauce is one of those things you either love or hate (or haven't tried yet). In my opinions, yum! I've made it once before but it's been far too long.

Mole sauce:
2-3 cloves garlic
1/2 medium onion
1-2 TBS olive oil
1 small (14.5 oz) can of diced tomatoes with liquid
1 small (8 oz) can of plain tomato sauce
1-2 cups chicken broth
2-3 oz dark chocolate (spicy mexican or regular)

1-2 tbs chili powder
1-2 tbs cumin
1/2 tbs cinnamon
1/4 tbs nutmeg
salt/pepper to taste

In a food processor (mainly because you'll have to use it again later) - chop garlic and onion. Saute in a "soup" pan with olive oil. Once the combo is lightly browned and fragrant add it back into the food processor. Add diced tomatoes with liquid, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon and nutmeg. Process until smooth and then add back to the soup pan. Add 1 cup of chicken broth, tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Simmer at least 30 mins (the longer the better). If it reduces too much, add more chicken stock (I always eye ball this part). 







Mole Pork Enchiladas:

Once the mole sauce is done, the possibilities are endless. Tonight I used it to make mole pork enchiladas. Combine 2 cups shredded pork with 1/2 cup mole sauce.


Add to your favorite corn or flour taco, fajita or burrito wrap to desired fullness (about 1/2 cup for burrito sized enchiladas and roll into a bundle. 


Spray your pan with cooking spray, add 1/4 cup mole sauce to the bottom and then place your enchiladas seam side down in the dish. Top with another 1/2-3/4 cup mole sauce. Cover with foil and bake for 20-30 mins. Remove foil for the last 5 mins. Covering with a layer of your favorite cheese is optional though encouraged.


Tonight I topped my enchiladas with some mashed avocado and sour cream. In the oven, the sauce continued to cook, meld and reduce. It's so delicious with pork but would go great with any of your favorite enchilada fillings. I even enjoy it over eggs for brunch. Enjoy!

1 comment: