Sunday, January 30, 2011

Veggie and Sausage Frittata

I hope I didn’t lure anyone here under false pretenses. “Diana’s Daily Dish” is seldom daily (and probably never will be) and has yet to feature a dish as in “a particular item of prepared food” or “a container for holding or serving food”. I meant dish in the “idle talk; gossip” sense of the word, though in searching for “official” definitions on the internet, it could also refer to “a good-looking person, especially an attractive woman”, hmm. So sorry if you were expecting posts about my daily pottery pieces or something like that but it's basically for my "idle talk" about life and "Diana’s Daily Dish" was alliterative and catchy, oh and my name is Diana, if you didn't catch that. I do love to cook so I’ll try to include some more cooking and recipe posts (hint hint, like this one).

Last week I started a pantry/freezer clean out and while I made some progress they are both still pretty full. In an effort to finish up a few more food items hogging space in the fridge and freezer and to make something for breakfast this week, this frittata recipe was born. Frittatas are super easy to make and are great for using up whatever you may have on hand. In the past, I’ve made these in cupcake pans for individual servings but I wasn't in the mood to scrub the baked on egg mixture out of 12 cupcake holes, something I’ve yet to avoid, so this was baked in small, shallow baking dish… and the frittata is thin enough I can throw it between some bread or a bagel to eat on the go. Feel free to substitute your favorite ingredients.

Warning: I'm one of those cooks that eyeballs everything, so amounts and time may vary! 

Ingredients:  
1 TBS olive oil
1/2 cup frozen chopped bell pepper (from my garden, defrosted)
2/3 cup frozen shredded potatoes (defrosted)
1 Italian chicken sausage, chopped
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach (defrosted and drained)
Cooking spray
4 eggs
1/4 cup skim milk
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, etc. (any of your favorite spices)


Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 ºF. Add olive oil to hot pan, add peppers, potatoes, sausage and onion. Stir and cook 5-7 minutes or until ingredients begin to brown. Add spinach and your favorite spices, stir to combine, remove from heat and let cool. In separate bowl, combine eggs and milk, whisk to combine. After vegetable/sausage mixture has cooled for a few minutes (basically you don't want to start cooking your eggs by adding them to super hot veggies), add to greased baking dish. Pour egg mixture over vegetables/sausage. You may need to stir it a bit to combine. Bake 20-30 minutes until eggs begin to brown in the center (will depend on the size/depth of your pan). Makes approximately 4 (generous) servings.


While I’m saving it for breakfast this week, I took a small bite and it was delicious. I plan on adding some cheese and maybe a bagel thin to make a breakfast sandwich very similar to the Dunkin’ Donuts turkey sausage/veggie flat bread.

Oh and here was my dinner I threw together as the egg dish was baking.

(It's kind of hard to take an appetizing picture of sausage)
Leftover frozen veggies in cheese sauce (I added black pepper and chili powder) and Italian chicken sausage on a slice of Sourdough Italian bread with Italian cheese blend and BBQ sauce (it worked, trust me).

No comments:

Post a Comment